Monday, June 7, 2010

Painting Children

Sketch of Evie, 20 x 16

Well, I have kids on my mind, as next Wednesday, I am teaching a one-day workshop on painting children, and I have been progressing on a portrait of the little one sketched above.   Commissions are always a challenge - seeing is compromised by imagining the seeing of another (i.e. the commisson-er)!
I totally admire portrait artists, who take the plunge every day - trying to please two masters. That being said, I do love painting children whose images I have captured at the ballet studio or at the pool or beach.  Their chunky bodies and the very little shapes of them are captivating to me -- I try to do an honest and not too "sweet" portrayal, with varying results!  Below is my latest ballet-inspired painting, and I will post the completed painting of Evie, sketched above, when done.

Pink Leotard, 24 x 18, Oil on Unbleached Linen

1 comment:

  1. They are both absolutely precious! Can't wait to see the finished "Evie." You capture the innocence and simplicity of childhood very well.

    ReplyDelete