Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Back in Action


Wishful Thinking 10 x 8

Well, the name of the painting above is an apt title for getting back in the swing of things after holiday fun!  I like to set up little arrangements to tune up my seeing after a break from the easel.  Below is a shot of the (very simple) set-up:


I eliminated the fourth leaf and just tried to get some paint quality going.  Time to re-learn an old lesson, namely, sometimes we forget how to paint ( at least I do! )  Remedy:  get back to painting from life, and use big brushes, just as one of my painting friends reminded me not long ago - don't forget the Big Brush Theory.  Oh, duh!  I need to take my own advice, as we are off and running into this new and exciting year.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful everything. Such an elegant simple composition- I love it and would say you are right ready back in action for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the underpainting peeking through and am envious of your precise yet fresh brush strokes. Thanks also for sharing the photo of the subject. I learn a lot from painters who take the extra time to explain their process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the simplicity and colors in this painting. You certainly know how to use a big brush - your strokes are lovely and controlled. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful Nancy! I am taking your workshop in March and I so look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered your blog and I love love love your work! I wish you would give a workshop here in San Antonio!

    ReplyDelete