Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Love Oil Paint


Londolozi, 6 x 6

While at the easel today, I kept thinking -- "I love oil paint!"

It's just so versatile... thin and sketchy, or expressive and juicy, or thick and sculptural.  As a former watercolorist, I am always aware of the flexibility of oil.  I can smusch edges, drag color into other areas, or just wipe totally off if needed.  This afternoon, I probably should have been finishing some large paintings in progress, but instead, I did 4 or 5 small pieces (6 x 6) and just had a great day!  It was nice to be enjoying the paint, and enjoying the freedom from "production" mode.  When doing small studies, one is less committed to results, an attitude that often leads to freer, more soulful expression.  For me, that's the ticket!


Les Aubergines, 6 x 6

11 comments:

  1. Both paintings are beautiful! Your landscape has a nice abstract feel to it. Loose brush strokes and wonderful colors are present in both. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    Love both of these. The landscape has a wonderful sunlit feel with gorgeous colors. The little eggplants are just beautiful in their pretty colors and the composition is so dynamic with an attitude. That is my favorite thing about your pears too- you capture the attitude of them. Love the value and temperature shifts. Sounds like a fun day and that friend is a good ticket for us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. The feel of oil is so sensual. Buttery as you like, or dragged dry brush for scumbling, it's such a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the freedom of both of these. And I always admire your color palette. Both are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your touch as always. These are delightful little paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So simple, yet so beautiful. Both paintings have such a dreamy quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting and important point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally love this post and the paintings. What a delight to see you at play. Both paintings are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I found your blog. Love your work

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun surprise that I got to see your blogs today. Somehow had missed three of them. Loved reading your thoughts on commission vs painting whatever. Folks always say they don't mind it being very loose or looking like their loved one but they do and we feel the pressure to please. I think your commissioned piece looks nice and loose and nancyfrankish.
    I am so excited to do your upcoming workshop in ATL!!

    ReplyDelete