Wednesday, September 7, 2011

One Foot Out the Door




Read to Me, 12 x 16

Well, one week from tomorrow is the long-awaited departure day for France - yay!  The Provence workshops are upon us ... there was a meeting at Huff Harrington yesterday to go over packing light, yet adding a few last minute art supplies, and details for the train to Avignon, etc.  Of course, Ann and Sarah served champagne and tarte jambon to the attendees, and we toasted to the soon-to-be-realized dream of painting and just breathing l'essence de Provence!!  (I am bringing my computer and hope to post from Les Murets).

The painting above has a certain gentle spirit that I sought -  I spent lots of time refining the expressions and focus of the children, while trying to avoid too much detail.  I sketched like crazy before applying paint -- not sure whether that was a good idea, since it kept me a bit literal.  BUT - I really wanted to be exact in catching the flow.

Sketch (unfortunately on a reddish-tinted board, which drove me crazy) is pictured below.  You can see that I was really working the angles. 




8 comments:

  1. Nancy, You certainly captured the sweet flow in this one. Love the sketch and the painting. You are so good about getting those dynamic angles that keep the eye moving. Love the soft palette and the beautiful faces. A treasure!
    So, off to Provence...I am excited for you and hope to get there myself one day soon. I look forward to lots of stunning paintings and will be thinking of y'all. Travel safe and take care friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy...love your latest painting on your blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, such a a lovely painting, the expressions are beautiful and not over done. I love how you have caught that gentle spirit with the angle of the heads.

    Bon Voyage! Oh how I love Provence.....I will look forward to your posts from France. Wish i was going there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful trip. I know you will enjoy it.

    Love this painting. You have such a lovely touch with children, showing all their softness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful painting--just love the softness. Travel safe and have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful as usual Nancy! And wishing you and the group safe travels and happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet , delicate painting! This painting has a great feeling and wonderful atmosphere. Have a marvelous and safe trip to France. I would love to be going along!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish you all were coming too! We are leaving tomorrow night! I have to pack and then relax and enjoy....a bientot!

    ReplyDelete