Sunday, October 27, 2013

What It's All About



Little girl spotted near the carousel in Avignon




30 minute workshop demo (10/19/13) of la petite fille, 12 x 12


It's a bit new to be painting again... after traveling lots during the month of September, October has flown past with another trip, a great workshop, and getting (re) acclimated to my studio.  Wish I could just buzz in there and create good paintings, but I'm not sure right now that I know what that might be! My eye/taste/expectations are always shifting, which is good, but keeping up with painting commitments can be a challenge when I'm trying to keep up with myself.

As many know, all is put into perspective after reading Robert Genn's recent post on his illness (http://clicks.robertgenn.com/the-bomb.php); I have been thinking often of his wonderful articulation of the painter's life, his consistency with the twice-weekly letters, and of the humble truth that he speaks.
I am re-committed to painting from my heart, rather than to deadlines...only those inspired pieces ever speak to me or to the viewer anyway!

I celebrate and so appreciate this journey.







11 comments:

  1. A beautiful painting Nancy. 30 minutes - OMG! brilliant!

    Re-committing to paintings from the heart is worthy.
    I try to mix in my personal soul ventures in painting with my bread and butter stuff.
    Thanks for the link to Genn's letter so i could read about his devastating news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do that too, Julie...to varying degrees of success! thanks for your comments to me....N

      Delete
  2. Lovely painting...30 minutes wow!! I try and paint from the heart and will do so more now, it means so much more to me when I do! I always read Robert Genn's letters too, so saddened hearing of his illness. Thanks for sharing Nancy, I have loved your work for a long time and enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had done the sketch ahead of time! Thanks for your kind words...

      Delete
  3. Love this one!!! What a great source photo also...love seeing the source and the demo. Painting from the heart is the only way to go.
    I was very moved by Robert Genn's latest letter. I enjoy getting his letters and cannot imagine his path now. It also recommits me to improving my work. Seeing your work inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you captured the little girls enchantment and gesture- so well done! Love your children's studies and paintings.
    I was also so sad to read about Robert Genn...treasure his thought provoking writings and how much time he has spent doing that for all of us for years. I think Robert knew how sharing that news would touch us all and further encourage us to keep painting from our hearts. And keep learning too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      Greetings, my friend. I have treasured Robert Genn for the past few years, and think of him a lot these days. Thanks, always, for your thoughtful and kind comments to me.

      Delete
  5. Always happy to see a Nancy painting. Especially a child painting. Great mood!
    Yes, we need to live every moment to its fullest not knowing what happens the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm always happy to see your children paintings, Carol! Your energy infuses your work...

      Delete
  6. Hey Nancy. Just saw your blog and the precious painting. So glad it went to a happy home where she is fully appreciated!! I loved being with you. You are such a joy and inspiration to be around. I'm so sorry I am just being introduced to your friend Robert Genn. He sounds like a wonderful man and has had much to share with all.

    ReplyDelete