Thursday, February 27, 2014

Interpretation - Let's Dance!





Sing to Me, 40 x 30




Photo of Set Up


We may be painting from LIFE, whether in the studio, with a model, or in the field, but it is the translation that makes magic.  I want to use what is before me: what is real and true and actually there!  BUT ...  more importantly, what can I leave out -- it's the "leaving out" that creates freshness, lets the viewer participate, and that keeps it painterly!  Oh, it's a fine dance, non?

I've been busy this month: I taught a workshop at Quinlan Art Center in Gainesville, GA and then 2 days last week in St. Simons Island, GA; both were truly a great cure for the winter blahs.  
These painters were just what the doctor ordered -- they lifted me UP with their willingness to try new things and their inspired paintings.
After hibernating during January and much of February (with unusually cold and snowy times in Atlanta), I found these gatherings to be wonderful! 



 Wonder, 12 x 12


8 comments:

  1. Love the painting, the focus and the leaving out. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, you are truly the master at capturing the essence!

      Delete
  2. thanks so much for showing us your source photo...love "seeing" what you left out. beautiful work, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I DO think it helps to see the set up...thanks, I'll try to do that more,

      Delete
  3. Nancy, I loved learning from you… what an inspiration you are! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      It was great to paint with you last week...thanks for nice comments!

      Delete
  4. Beautifully painted- strong and true! Always love your blog posts...so important to have a visual concept of what you are painting and what/how you want to say it. Lucky students to get to learn from you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      Thanks so much for your positive vibe...hope all is well!

      Delete