Thursday, March 1, 2018

Easy Peasy





Oh, it seems so easy... Just Squint!

IF I can remember to do so, painting IS much easier!
Unbelievably, now that my work is more interpretive, I often forget to squint at the subject.
Michael and I just visited friends in FL whose home is dotted with my early work.  Tonight, he happened to mention how much more soulful my current work is in comparison -- yet the new pieces are far less detailed.
Squinting is an important key in making modern, less literal (but true) paintings.
Squinting also helps one to avoid TRYING TOO HARD, and to TRUST INSTINCTS.

Oh, it seems so easy...
But, as we have all figured out, nothing about creating successful paintings is easy, permanent, or fixed.  I guess that's what keeps us in the game:  the hunt, the experimentation, the search for the occasional successful "happy accident," the zinger!

My goal:  to achieve spontaneity and life -- through accurate, strong brushwork -- and to create simple, light-shot paintings.   Yikes!  Every now and then it works, which is life-affirming -- woohoo!


I'm teaching a cool workshop in Atlanta in May (11th and 12th), at the Atlanta Artists Center.  
We will play with different subjects, from life, and also a bit of photo interpretation.  
If you are interested in moving toward more free, personal, yet true work, 
call Zindi at AAC (404) 237-2324, (www.atlantaartistscenter.org) to reserve a spot!





11 comments:

  1. These latest works are beautiful Nancy. I love Michael's support of you.
    Squinting! I wish squinting did not cause wrinkles . Dang it! Your work is always a treat and inspiration to see! Wish I could come to your workshop to have a refresher. Wishing you the very best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Carol -- how nice of you to comment, and I totally AGREE on the wrinkles!! Mine are totally carved in, but hey --my little grandkids don't notice!! Wishing YOU the very best as well....xxoo

    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really amazing art, registered with us to sell your are with us for free
    Online Art Gallery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent read, I just passed this into a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that.
    best paint by numbers for adults

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful information for people looking out for this sort of hobby and meanwhile I would like to share a great source of animal diamond painting kits for kids and adults

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Nancy, I enjoy your work. Do you have online classes in spanish?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many different custom paint by numbers kits available, so it's important to choose one that's right for you. If you're not sure where to start, we've got some tips to help you choose the best paint by number kit for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea behind diamond painting is that each kit comes with a canvas pre-printed with an outline – create your own masterpiece or follow existing designs – as well as tiny colored “diamonds” that are placed one by one on the canvas using special tools.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is exactly what I am looking for, only have spent most of the morning trying to find it online elsewhere. Next time, I need to come here first!

    ReplyDelete