Monday, December 19, 2011

Amaryllis Thoughts


Studio Table

Last week at the flower market, I found some beautiful cut amaryllis, which were headed for my dining room table.  The flowers took a petite detour into my studio, where I wanted to do a quick study, aiming to keep it loose and fresh.  Below are some photos I took during the painting session, from about 1 - 5 p.m. 


Start - I did a pretty strong sketch in paint,
 to help me figure out the flower shapes

Adding Color

Moving forward, and then...


Backing up -- i.e. wiping off (!) flowers on the left side, 
which were getting over-complicated and murky


Re-stating, just before I stopped for the day


Touch-ups galore were done the next day... i.e., I changed the background a bit, tried to soften the strong X in the middle formed by the crossing stems, adjusted highlights, etc. and my quick study ended up being less than quick.  Meanwhile, as I look at the finished painting below and the close-up above, I like that cropped image better!  

Oh well, there's always next year, and other paintings to be created : )  Have a very Merry Christmas!  




Fresh Start, 20 x 30

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful format and love the different choice of flowers. They are gorgeous and you got them just beautifully! Three is great, admiring those stems- they are THE best! The Amarylis are fresh and strong with fabulous color and edges. Ya did good!!
    Thanks for sharing your process- always enjoy that.
    Merry Christmas to you and hope it is magnifique'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un très beau trio avec ces Amarylis... Des jeux de couleurs qui dansent comme sur une patinoire...
    J'aime beaucoup votre fond et les vases...
    Gros bisous et joyeuses fêtes à vous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing painting in progress and learning about different thought processes. The composition is beautiful and I love the reflections and shadows. beautiful...thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. It's obvious that this took a lot of effort, and you did it all for our benefit. It was perfect. We all loved it. Thank you. Thank you.
    Merry Christmas. Enjoy every moment.
    I still wish I lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Nancy! Love the process shots too! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete